YOU can help Manatees
- Support organizations that help injured manatees. Miami Seaquarium® is one of only three facilities in the State of Florida with a letter of authorization from
the US Fish and Wildlife Service as a Manatee Critical Care Facility.
- Education is the key to manatee conservation. Learn about manatees and educate boaters, people that live along the coast, and beachgoers about them.
- Participate in a beach or waterway clean up. Manatees can become entangled in garbage, causing them serious injuries.
- Recycle trash when possible.
On the Water:
- Be watchful for manatees when boating! Boat propellers can cut a manatee.
- Wear polarized sunglasses so you can see into the water and steer clear of manatees.
- Follow posted speed signs. The impact of a speeding boat can break a manatee's bones.
- Make sure to secure trash when you are on a boat.
At the Beach:
- Keep your distance and do not attempt to feed, give water to, or touch manatees.
- Always clean up your trash when leaving the beach.
If a manatee is observed in distress or a dead manatee is sighted, contact the FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC.
VIDEO: A Manatee Named OX